Houzz Logo Print
simon_dell

Does my kitchen HAVE to have a rangehood?

Simon Dell
9 anni fa
We have a hob that's in an open benchtop and next to a window. It's an induction hob and we don't deep fry or fry much at all. Do we have to have a rangehood?

Commenti (24)

• mcxu8
    9 anni fa
    I would definitely put in rangehood. It helps to dispel the smell from cooking, window helps but it doesn't work as well as a rangehood. You wouldn't want to be limited by the type of food you'll be able to cook in future. In future if you decide to sell, it would be more appealing. That's my opinion, hope that helps with your decision.
  • K C
    9 anni fa
    I very rarely use the range hood. It's only used if something is particularly smokey. We have a medium size window adjacent. Depends on what type of cooking you do, I grill in the oven, stirfry quickly or cook in covered pots so probably don't generate a lot of grease but the overhead cupboards do still get greasy. My previous house didn't have a range hood at all. There were windows in the walls to the left and right of the stove and we had three metre ceilings and no overhead cupboards. Personal choice I think but 99 out of 100 houses will have one.
  • Discussioni simili

Qual è per Voi il miglior materiale per il top della cucina?

Q

(105) commenti
    Acciaio veramente pratico.. Per pulire il Viakal leva gli aloni.. Anche il laminam mi dicono.. Sia resistente.. A me hanno messo laminato(mi hanno detto sia buono la Veneta usa un laminato tedesco), ma io in pratica o mangio fuori o scaldo al micronde sia quando lavoro che quando sono in ferie.. Per me c'è ne d avanzo.. Mio marito quando cucina devo dire usa tavolette di legno e il ripiano in acciaio
    ... mostra di più

Coffee Tables and End Tables?

Q

(0) commenti
    This might come as a surprise, but most coffee tables are actually quite useful, in fact I regularly sit on my desk. Of course, the rubber on my desk does come in handy. To see why, just look around… Here are a few examples, on my desk I have a coaster from USA Coffee, that I'm really loving, it fits perfectly into the gap between the two plastic sides of my desk (thanks Barista Angel!). But, one issue with that is you can only sit on it with legs on one side?
    ... mostra di più

Dilemma arredamento cucina: lineare o ad angolo?

Q

(21) commenti
    Io invece oltre alla doppia fila di pensili ho messo due mobili alti 270 per piatti, pentole e cibarie. Non avendo 60 cm di profondità nella parte finale della cucina a causa della portafinestra non ho potuto fare 2 colonne affiancate e quindi ho messo un frigo libero entrando a destra, una colonna profonda come i pensili e larga 60 cm in fondo e un'altra analoga di fronte, lavello singolo, lavastoviglie, forno con cassetto alto per altre pentole, cassettiera da 40 con un cassetto alto per padelle e bricchi, un cassetto per tovaglie ecc e uno per le posate con all'interno un secondo cassetto sempre per le posate.
    ... mostra di più

Urgent advise needed

Q

(5) commenti
    Great idea! Thank you very much! I need to find a place to put the sensor so that it does not light up the lights every time we pass by the living room. Thank you!
    ... mostra di più
  • rocketjcat
    9 anni fa
    We don't have one over our stove in an open island. I didn't want the obstruction. Aside from setting off the smoke detector once every couple of years, I have never missed it. I never deep fry, but do sauté on the stove with no big smell problem.
  • Bryden McMillan
    9 anni fa
    Check your local building laws.

I know in Australia where is live the kitchen must have an external vented and powered fan. Which is mostly done with a range good.
  • dooenmabest
    9 anni fa
    Our kitchen has a rangehood which is never used. I found it difficult to clean and it always seemed to smell like a fish and chip shop. Now it's clean and smells fresh and is never used. The house is always open for good air flow.

In my next kitchen, currently being built, I won't have one. I'll have some extra storage space instead. I asked the builder if it was a requirement and he said it isn't.
  • ladyrob1
    9 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 9 anni fa
    My kitchen is so old that the stove - a cast iron wood burning stove was set in a recess on a podium of bricks and bricked all around. The 'roof' of the recess was closed in with galvanised iron sheeting and through it went the flue up from the stove,into the roof cavity and out through the house roof...like a little chimney. Its still there but has no function for now,
    On either side of the recess there were and still are louvre windows.
    When came the day to fix it up a bit the idea of "Range Hood" had already been catered to. Simply open part of the gal iron roof in the recess and set in a stainless steel funnel with a flue higher up into the house roof cavity connected to the old gal iron outer flue...and viola'. Its not such a new invention after all and when I remodel the kitchen the new stove will be right there in the old, but refurbished recess. I am a lucky ducky aren't I? Even better, all the odours and steam and smoke will not be enclosed in the roof cavity but will be carried off by the wind.
  • myperfectadvice
    9 anni fa
    Yes.....they are effective and look good!
  • ladyrob1
    9 anni fa
    @ mydesign0401 we have no reticulated gas here - unfortunately, so my new stove will be an electric side by side cooktops and oven. Ithought to have a rather large, decorative 'country' looking range hood since there is provision for one > Am in Queensland so do not know the requirements, but whatever they are, if any, there will be plenty of height. The hood will need to be either decorative or otherwise concealed in the cavity already there that housed the wood stove flue...the cavity is quite wide so there are a number of design possibilities that excite me. If something just must be there I like it to look decorative....as if it were my idea...so I don't appear to be a conformist...and again, do not want to spoil the "old house" feel.
  • ladyrob1
    9 anni fa
    @ myoerfectadvice...do you really think that range hoods look good? I don't, but if I am looking at somebody's kitchen, funny thing, its the first item I look for!
  • mldesign0401
    9 anni fa
    @ladyrob1 if your range is within a fire rated hearth and is contained with a working chimney, your range hood is not a mandatory thing. If you have a fire rated enclosure, and an exhaust I.e chimney then your requirements are met.
    In modern kitchens, the materials used are not fire rated generally, and joinery along with splash backs and some appliances will sustain a flame, so anything omitting a flame, or even acting as a heat source needs to meet regulation on clear distance and venting for that reason. The country ranges themselves are fully exhausted with a flue, and contain their heat source. I like to conceal my range hoods, and don't generally put them on show. I prefer fully integrated unless they make a design statement with a canopy hood surround, and create that country canopy.
  • ladyrob1
    9 anni fa
    @ mydesign0401 THANKS! Unfortunately the brick hearth was demolished when the burnt out cast iron wood stove was removed....along with its family of mice living underneath in the hearth cavity! If the range hood is not mandatory I still have a large empty space above the recess that leads to above the roof and the original gal chimney is still in place....I like it!
    Seems I am fortunate...I can have either a decorative country-looking range hood (beaten copper canopy with some pictorial elements in ceramic...which would be just for swank) or it can be hidden in the existing fire rated cavity...or nothing at all because i have those lovely old arctic glass louvers on either side. the whole of the stove recess down to the floor is lined in gal iron...its a pretty well designed old place...I was amazed when I began pulliung out defunct items.
    One thing...it had an outside Dunny until the 1960's, now there's a pedestal inside the back door where there was a "mud room"...which is now my laundry...that was a tin shed outside with a cast iron copper. Honestly those early women had a hard life!
  • myperfectadvice
    9 anni fa
    Well....They make the kitchen look finished and make it look more of a kitchen...
    Don't you think..?
    Mine is hidden in a cupboard and on the bottom of the cupboard is just a silver thing with touch buttons for lights, speed of fan....etc.... You can't really see mine...
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    9 anni fa
    Here in UK I've started seeing a lot more ceiling vents over hobs - they are less noticeable and still vent out the vapours - the only downside I can think off is the acrobatic's to get up to clean them !!
  • Luke Buckle
    9 anni fa
    Have you all seen that crystal rangehood posted by a Houzzer recently? Hopefully this is the start of something different as I feel the trend for triangular stainless steel funnels that dominate kitchens has gone on long enough.
  • ladyrob1
    9 anni fa
    Hi Luke, That sounds very interesting! I agree that the stainlee steel funnels...or the" fish n' chip shop chimneys" I called them when they first apprared as the thing Councils would appove are rather dated...and if one really considers them, are rather overdone for ehat they are....so wiull go looking fot the crystal rangehood on Houzz.
    What do you think of OnePlan's comment of the UK ceiling vents...the decription give, although meagre seems it might be something I could install here since the ceiling and roof cavities with external outlet are already incorporated in the buiuld of my old house....and I live in QLD and we don't seem to have regulations for rangehoods.
  • ladyrob1
    9 anni fa
    @ myperfect advice....I am intrigued by your description of your "invisible rangehood" in a cupboard...with controls...sounds very James Bondy. I am at a stage that my make do kitchen could make do for many more years but I am an old lady now and need to bring things into the 21st century...at least a bit, or the new owners will not know what its all on about! Any PICS?
  • mldesign0401
    9 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 9 anni fa
    @ ladyrob1. That James bond range hood is called an undermount. They have been around for many years, and chosen by people adverse to making a feature of the fish n chip funnel!
    They hide neatly into overhaead cabinets, and do not interrupt the joinery what so ever.
    They are also very efficient, and quassair make ones which has the lowest noise output I've seen. They house the extraxtion unitin your roofspace, so you don't even hear that hum. Undermounts offer the next best option to not having one at all.
  • Bryden McMillan
    9 anni fa
    My rangehood. Above is a cabinet.
  • PRO
    Karen Goodrich Interiors
    7 anni fa

I say YES! You should have a range hood. For both steam and smells but re-sale too! We recently bought a house without one and everyone walks in and says "where is the fan?" It will complete the kitchen both for look and functionality.

• David Steadman
    7 anni fa

A range hood is a good idea for both practicality and re-sale. You can now find models which are almost flush with the ceiling and have a remote control if you are worried about the look. Cleaning would be the only downside but if you don't use it often you wouldn't need to clean as often!

• cloudpants
    7 anni fa
    Here's our undermount one, which, as you can see funnels into a cupboard. Second photo shows the hood pulled out and in action. It's very subtle.
  • Lisa Imbruglia
    6 anni fa

I have a pull out rangehood like the one above. It is so loud that I never use it. It only recirculates inside the unit and not to outside. You put charcoal filters inside. I certainly prefer the undermounts as they are less intrusive however most are quite noisy and you really need to shop around for ones with good cubic mtr per hour extraction.

You can buy silent range hoods! They are from schweigen. German made they are fantastic for use in open plan homes with a minimum of 900 cubic mtr per hour extraction. The motor sits outside the house and can be wall mounted as well as roof. Although not the cheapest in the market they definitely add a special feature to your kitchen and work amazingly. Quality of life. I would change to one of these if I had the opportunity and space allowed!

• Ken Buxton
    4 anni fa

Hello,

Sorry in advance to bring up an old thread/subject,

However looking for any additional advice/direction i can get on comment from midesign0401 below...

mldesign0401

In Victoria a range hood is a requirement in new kitchens.
    No longer is it acceptable for a simple exhaust unit, rather it must now be ducted to external air. So your range hood must be flued either through your roof space or via a horizontal duct to an external wall. It must be installed and signed off, and your house insurance will require your sign off document if your house insurance is to cover damage due to fire, or you will find yourself in a predicament.
    The provision for installing a range hood above a gas cooktop is a minimum placement of 650mm above your cooktop, and 605 for an electric hob. Including induction.
    Hope this helps.

Our new home got handed over to us by builder just before Christmas (21/12/2018),

We are still waiting for under mount rangehood to be installed into our kitchen,

The house was delivered with no rangehood as the hole they provided was to close to accommodate rangehood selection,

After a couple of visits we have been told that cupboards are to be removed and replaced,

Which we are still waiting for as the 'cabinetmaker is very busy',

My inquiry is to see whether there is a building code reference/link I can forward on to them to hurry the process up,

Also concerned that insurance would not cover our new house if there happened to be a fire

Thanks in advance,

We look forward o nay help,

Regards,

Ken and Nadia Buxton

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".