Houzz Logo Print
meganlanephotos

Need help making my kitchen more shabby chic/farmhouse!

Hello,

My husband & I bought our home 15 months a go. It is a mobile home. Since then, we've been working like crazy to make it more my style. My favorite looks are shabby chic, beach cottage and french farmhouse. in the past few months, we've painted all of our kitchen cabinetry white. It had been regular wood tone. We also painted the ceiling & the wall behind the sink a very light pastel blue color and we painted the wall on the right flat white. We painted our 3 glass pendant lights a hammered metal color and then added a layer of off-white and sanded them to give them a weathered look. We replaced the light on the ceiling with a crystal chandelier.. and we bought woven woods natural shades for the two kitchen windows from Hunter Douglas. They look like beach straw in person.

The first picture shows the whole kitchen, but it is from 3 weeks a go so it doesn't show the new chandelier, blinds, painted pendants, etc. The second picture shows the new blinds, one of the painted pendants, and a cabinet curtain that I made this week for the sink. I wanted to give the kitchen a feminine farmhouse feel. Our kitchen is next to the living room area. I am attaching a 2 photos of the living room so you can see what colors I have used next to the kitchen. My children have the bedrooms and so we sleep in the living room. We do not want a pull-out sofa, so the bed has to stay for now. I eventually plan to buy Russian Folk Beds from Rachel Ashwell's Shabby Chic Couture for this room.

Anyway, I want to know what else I can do to the kitchen to make it look better. I want to keep with the styles I mentioned above that I love. I know the tile floor is very cold.. I am saving up to put whitewashed hardwood flooring in the living room, hallway and kitchen. Keep in mind that we are on a very tight budget and will be doing the work ourselves. I want the kitchen to flow better. I use a lot of pastel blues, sages and rose pink in the living room.. how could I implement that color pallet into the kitchen? Should I paint the bar stools? They're wood with wicker seating. If you see anything in the living room that might look nice in the kitchen instead, let me know that, as well. All advice is welcome and appreciated! Thank you!

Commenti (22)

• handymam
    9 anni fa
    I think your kitchen looks wonderful! You did a great job! I actually really like your floor, it is rustic farmhouse looking to me.

The only two or three things I see in your kitchen that could carry the same colors from the living room into the kitchen are the curtain under the sink, the small rug, and the color of the wall where the window is. I know you just painted it blue, but when I look at your living room, I don't see blue except in very small accents, I see the rose pink.
  • meganlanephotos
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Thank you! You do like the floor? I was afraid it looked too modern.. as it's gray-ish black colored tiles. Some people a few months back on Houzz told me it looked cold and that I should replace it. They said it didn't match the rest of my home. I am so happy to hear a different opinion!

I agree I should get a small rug that is similar colors to the living room. What about the two bar stool-like chairs? Should I paint those a different color? If so, what color? Maybe paint and distress them a bit to make them look worn? The living room is a mixture of light blue, rose pink, sage and whites. I don't know if you can tell from the pictures, but the walls are white in the living room but the ceiling is light blue.. but two shades darker than the blue ceiling and wall in the kitchen. Do you think I should paint the wall behind the sink rose pink? What color you would you suggest? Thank you again for your kind response!
  • meganlanephotos
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Wow, you are right! I looked up farmhouses and cottages with slate floors on google, and apparently they are pretty popular. i think ours is tile, but it does look a lot like slate. it's nice to know that it isn't as hideous as i was told it was! i never loved it.. but i also didn't hate it.. until i had been told by Houzzers that it was so awful. Then I began to see every little imperfection in it. I suppose I'm too impressionable sometimes. I do plan to replace my red oak hardwood flooring in the living room and hallway area with whitewashed floors sometime in the next few months.. so maybe i will leave the kitchen floor as is? What do you think? Please do get back to me with what color you think the sink wall should be. Also, what do you think of the backsplash? Is it working with the look I have going on in the kitchen? Should I be thinking of replacing it to something else? Thank you very much, I love hearing everyones opinions on here :)
  • mefor
    9 anni fa
    I think maybe the blue is throwing off the look. I like it on the ceiling, but maybe more of a green gray for the sink wall? Which would be lovely with the pink look in the living room. Maybe any of these Sherwin Williams colors.
  • mefor
    9 anni fa
    One more pic, click on images to see the whole image and the names of all the colors
  • mefor
    9 anni fa
    I think that changing the backsplash is a great idea. :)
  • mefor
    9 anni fa
    Maybe a subway tile in a similar color to the paints above?
  • jennyrf
    9 anni fa
    Im loving all your diy work. you've done a really great job. I think the backsplash could be changed. maybe you could look for a budget friendly paint that works on tiles. I think a slightly off white color could be nice. maybe even a very light creamy color. right now the strong tan color is the first thing you see. I think a soft pink color would go better than the blue, but once you do something to the backsplash maybe it will look fine. Another DIY thing to do would be to box in the two metal posts under you eating bar. buy some mdf board and box it in, paint it to match your cabinets. replacing your handles could also add to the shabby chic look.

check out the photos that go along with this one, Im sure youd love the style. its awesome

Dreamy Whites · Maggiori informazioni
  • meganlanephotos
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Mefor, I like the comfort gray. I prefer the grays with less green in them, personally. I also like the third one down on the left, from your first comment. Would either of those two look good with the light blue ceiling and the pink tones in the living room?

I like the subway tile that you posted.. would a white tile be too much white? I love decorating with white, but I wouldn't want to go overboard. Also, I absolutely LOVE the curtain in the picture with the subway tile. I love how small it is.. very shabby chic, romantic. What is the name for that type of curtain, so I can look up more online for sale? Do you know where to buy this specific one, by any chance? One last thing, what do you think about the flooring? It is like faux slate, I suppose.. is it too dark? Too cold? I plan to replace the hardwood flooring in the living room and hallway with whitewashed floors sometime in the next few months.. should I leave the kitchen as is or put whitewashed wood flooring in there, too?
  • meganlanephotos
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    OMG, Jennyrf! You have a good eye. One of my top two favorite designers is the woman who runs the Dreamy Whites blog.. that and Rachel Ashwell of Shabby Chic Couture. I am so inspired by the two of them. My house is a happy combination of Dreamy Whites, Rachel Ashwell and my own creative visions. I love the picture you posted from Dreamy Whites. I have an antique bistro chair, like the ones in her dining room, in my living room. I actually found it in someones garbage in the Hamptons! I repaired and refinished it with white paint and it looks amazing! I also love her big antique Mora clock. I have been wanting one for a while, but so expensive. I found a place that makes reproduction ones for a fraction of the price.. One can dream, right?

I will look into painting the backsplace tile. I agree that an off-white color would look nice. I wonder if tile can be painted? I've never done that before, but there has to be a DIY way. Do you know how to box in the two metal peninsula legs? Someone has recommended that I've done that before and I wasn't quite sure how. I will have to Google it later today. Ok, off to my daughters dance class! Looking forward to hearing more ideas :)
  • mefor
    9 anni fa
    The comfort gray and the subway tiles I posted would be beautiful with the flooring and the ceiling and the pink in living room. Very French shabby chic. I think your floor looks good with all these colors and looks to be in great shape. Maybe you could get a large sample of the flooring you're thinking about for the living and hallway and see how it looks and feels to you in the kitchen. But I don't really see a need to change it unless you don't like it. Luckily, you can paint and tile beforehand and live with the current floor for a while, you might love it :)))
    The small shade in the window is called a relaxed roman shade. You could find a DIY online to make one, I think that one may just be a valance size. Would be great if you could find a nice piece of linen to make it from. Very pretty :))
  • User
    9 anni fa
    You have done a great job! I believe changing the lighting could really make all the difference in this space. This fixture would add some shine to your room and really play up your stainless steal you have currently.
    http://www.kichler.com/products/product/1-light-pendant-pn-2665pn.aspx
    Also, I would try to do a subway tile back splash in a white or gray. Another option would be glass tile. I always suggest to put in under the cabinet lighting so it really highlights your backsplash, and adds dimension and visual warmth to the space.
  • mefor
    9 anni fa
    Here's a tutorial to make a no sew relaxed roman shade that is attached to a roller shade, looks great and costs about $15 :)))

http://inmyownstyle.com/2013/06/no-sew-window-treatment-relaxed-roman-shades.html
  • jennyrf
    9 anni fa
    i just came across dreamy white and completely fell in love!! if you don't already have an account on pinterest, you definitely should get one! soooo many good diy ideas. you just search 'painting tile diy'. or 'box in post' and lots should pop up! and you can make boards, aka folders, to store the ideas in.
  • PRO
    Marchi Kitchens
    9 anni fa
    This looks great so far! Whitewashed floor will definitely help! For now, rustic accessories will help the look - but not too many.

Start compiling an ideabook with your favourite rustic looks and copy parts you like best. Here is some shabby chic inspiration to get you started:
    Marchi Kitchens · Maggiori informazioni

Let us know if you have any questions. Best of luck!!
  • lnicol8
    9 anni fa
    I think for shabby chic I would go with more like mini chandelier type lighting, maybe you can find something vintage at a flee market and paint it pale colours... over the sink and/or over peninsula - or mixture of a chandelier and some clear glass lighting.
  • bluegrassgal
    8 anni fa
    I have a few ideas for the kitchen that could "soften" some of its' features and give it a more feminine look.
    - Cut out the center of one or more of the cabinet doors and replace with glass. To keep it from looking new, you could tint the inside of the glass or make it look like mercury glass. Easy and inexpensive DIY project.
    - You could also replace the center of a few doors with chicken wire and put fabric in behind it. Your choice of fabric will dictate the look you are going for. You might use a pale-colored gingham check or muslin - just whatever you like.
    - A window treatment that doesn't block the light is always a sure fire way to soften the edges of a window and give a more feminine look. Personally, I love the look of making a valance or curtain out of strips of fabric. Use short pieces of fabric and tie them to the rod. To make them longer, tie another strip to the bottom, and so. No sewing required and the colors are limitless. (My fav is using patterned fabric)
    - I'm pretty sure you can whitewash your kitchen floor. Or maybe it could reglazed. Same idea for the backsplash too.
    - You mentioned replacing the living room floor with whitewashed boards. A much less expensive alternative would be to whitewash or paint the original wood. You could even add a little bit of a pastel color to it.
    - To tie the two rooms together, consider using the same window treatment in both rooms.

Hope this gives you a few ideas. What you have already done is really nice! You just need a little "icing on the cake"!
    Good luck!
  • Christina Quist
    8 anni fa
    I just want to say I love what you did to your place! It looks so cosy and beautiful!
  • vegasrenie
    8 anni fa
    Because I am thinking about retiring to a mobile home in a couple of years, I am saving everything I can find about them. This thread is absolutely wonderful. Thank you for starting it!
  • 467181pbj
    8 anni fa
    Replace island legs with distressed. newel posts from an old staircase.
  • PRO
    User
    6 anni fa

The devil is in the details: your cabinet handles are contemporary, not shabby chic. Try places like Hobby Lobby that have really unique, antique-looking handles and knobs.

Your countertop is going to be a huge hindrance to that feel, as well. Opt for something like chopping block, which you can get from Ikea inexpensively and finish to your tastes.

You might consider a crackle glaze or a wash for your cabinets, since they look very clean and contemporary. However, bear in mind that most people want something clean and contemporary, so if you're planning to sell within the next 3 years, it may not be worth it.

Finally, I agree that the backsplash could benefit from updating. You could replace it, or go a much less expensive option and paint it. We did so at my husband's old house and the result was a huge improvement, at a cost of about $35.

Good luck!

P.S. The floor is probably more of a hassle to deal with than it's worth. Right now it's reminiscent of a cobblestone finish, which is fine in SC decor. If you're planning to redo it, don't paint it, but do it properly and save yourself a headache of peeling paint down the road.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".