Houzz Logo Print
drownophelia

Door in weird place. any suggestions?

Commenti (18)

• acm
    8 anni fa

You mean because it enters into a living space? That isn't so weird. I'd get the piano away from it, though, or you'll never keep it in tune!

• Barbara Almandarz
    8 anni fa

Would help to see the rest of the room. At first blush it looks like you have too much furniture in the space. If you remove some of the extra furniture, you'll create an entry area so the door looks more natural.

• mountie
    8 anni fa
    Do you use the door - because there's a chair in front of it?
    What are you asking?
  • User
    8 anni fa

Can you eliminate the door and turn it into a window?

• decoenthusiaste
    8 anni fa

Move the entertainment center to that wall and the piano to the interior wall, unless it is also non-usable. Drafts and colder outside walls are not good for piano's health. Float the sofa perp to the window. Ignore the door. Have you considered updating the casegoods? Everything seems a bit to "transitional" and uncoordinated. Heirlooms, perhaps?

• Gerry
    8 anni fa
    Re the piano. My piano has been on an exterior wall for 16 years for lack of a better space and my piano tuner is impressed with how it holds a tune.
    Pancakes Barbara ha ringraziato Gerry
  • PRO
    OasisDesign&Remodeling
    8 anni fa
    Ok curtains it is. You needed us for that??? I am now hungry for pancakes & lots of syrup.
  • millworkman
    8 anni fa

"I cannot believe no one has mentioned the use of curtains or painting it the same color as the wall. I will probably go with one of those. Simple."

So why the dilemma?

• decoenthusiaste
    8 anni fa

Painting it to match walls or hanging a curtain over it are silly ideas! That's why no one has mentioned them. A door is a door, and as long as it is not interfering with flow or furniture placement, ignore it. You have bigger fish to fry in this room, IMO!

• susanalanandwrigley
    8 anni fa

Why is it "non usable"? That is very odd. Is it supposed to be a front door, a back door, what? Houses are required to have certain numbers and types of doors for escape/access purposes, if this door isn't working are you sure you have the appropriate other doors in case of fire etc?

I think curtains would look silly (if nothing else they'd block the light the window on the door provides) and I think it should be painted the same color as the other trim in the room. No purpose in disguising it, it is a door, homes have doors, everyone knows that. If you truly don't need the door and want the wall space, then eliminate it with the proper drywall or replace with window; otherwise, let it be.

And probably not the correct place for this but when posting a dilemma with a picture, why do people show pics with their temporary Christmas decorations up? Unless it relates to holiday decorating, it doesn't allow us to see the room as it functions most of the year.

• susanalanandwrigley
    8 anni fa

I like Margo's idea except that the purpose would be to provide a bit of an entry area when using the door, and if the door is "nonusable" as OP said it is probably not worth it to sacrifice the space. I agree the space needs simplifying and rearranging, but the OP does not seem interested in that.

• User
    8 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 anni fa

Yeah Susan, but a door is a door. As long as it is there it should be treated as such. No where did I read that the OP said the door was non usable?? The OP just said door in weird place. I also did not read that Pancake was not interested in simplifying? She hasn't been back yet.

• susanalanandwrigley
    8 anni fa

@margocorp -- Wow, she must have deleted all her posts. She definitely did come back, several times, she said the door was unusable, she said she had no intention of moving the piano because it was too heavy, she said the room was full of heirlooms that she wasn't interested in changing. She also said she couldn't believe anyone hadn't suggested putting curtains in front of it or painting it the same color as the walls. This is what my posts were responding to. Millworkman above quoted from one of those posts, and deco beneath that responded as well, But I can see how my post looks odd in face of the fact that Pancake Barbara deleted all those posts. Time to move on. My guess is Pancake Barbara didn't like all the criticism and decided to delete everything, but in this app it seems impossible to delete one's original post, just responses afterwards.

• User
    8 anni fa

aaaah, perhaps the heat in the kitchen got the pancake griddled;)

• Beth Bevington
    8 anni fa
    Margo I finished my wall! It's not red anymore. Beth
  • User
    8 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 anni fa

Yay!!!! I painted my red wall too;) What color did you go with?

• PRO
    Paolo Pambianchi
    8 anni fa

i suggest to remove some furniture amd

realize an entrance

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".