Houzz Logo Print
buckleup2000

Hardest thing to clean in your house?

Luke Buckle
8 anni fa
Ultima modifica:8 anni fa

If you own a chandelier, this question is going to be easy for you.

What is the trickiest thing to clean in your home that sees you glaring at it for months until you finally face it down?

Brady House · Maggiori informazioni

In the comments, let us know how you clean it - with photos if you can!

Under the bed
Bathroom tile grout
Around the oven/stove
Behind the bedhead
Other (tell us in the comments!)

Commenti (26)

• myownstyle13
    8 anni fa

1 - shower tile grout

2 - stupid windows and tracks, I am missing tilt-and-turn-windows, soo quick and easy to clean!

3 - security screens

• telperien
    8 anni fa
    My floor. I have a terracotta tile which has an irregular surface. It extends from my front door, along a hall, and into the family room and kitchen. In the kitchen , I can sit and scrub a single tile for half an hour or so, and it hardly looks any better. I use the magic erasers now, which are better than a scrubbing brush, but there is a limit to what they can achieve. I can't wait until my renovation, when the whole lot will go!
  • astrogirl
    8 anni fa
    Under the sink area and around the bin (all in the one cupboard at my place). So easy to put off and such a pain to pull everything out!
  • PRO
    Derek Wales and Son Surface Coatings
    8 anni fa

It has to be the chandeliers they seem to attract dust we have 7 and the crystals don't look nice when they aren't sparkling

• jmm1837
    8 anni fa

Current, new house is pretty easy. Last house, we had sloping ceilings which were 4.5 m at the higher end. Getting cobwebs off was a task; cleaning some of the windows, which ran up the walls, was well nigh impossible. And cleaning them from the outside simply was impossible, because at that point, there were 10 m off the actual ground.

• telperien
    8 anni fa
    Jmm1837, my current house sounds a lot like your previous one, and, yes, the high ceilings and the second story windows are definitely a problem! But I still hate the terracotta tiles more!
  • Angela Prestwood
    8 anni fa
    Bathroom grout, until I purchased a steam cleaner. Very happy with my purchase.
  • olldroo
    8 anni fa

Aluminium window frames. Hate, hate, HATE!!

• herladyship92
    8 anni fa
    I'm gradually phasing them out, but I have some ANCIENT metal venetians that collect dust. HATE cleaning them. Take them out to the hills hoist and clean them off with the pressure hose. YUCK!
  • pariscafe
    8 anni fa

Having three cooks in the house and two of them keen bakers our oven gets a good workout. Sadly only one of the cooks (me) cleans the oven. It is a job I hate almost as much as the shower!

• kooky_karen
    8 anni fa

I too hate cleaning window tracks and with the land development around us and high winds we have lots of dust. The vacuum cleaner tube is not fine enough to get into the tracks but there is a solution and it works well. Buy a narrow paint brush with angled bristles - just sweep and vacuum.

• myownstyle13
    8 anni fa

@kooky_karen: That's what I figured out as well...

Sometimes I think they don't put enough thought into designs to make things easy to maintain...

• olldroo
    8 anni fa

"Designed by a Male" is my version.

Karen - I've done the brush bit, it does work and cotton buds are good for cleaning if dust gets wet. The bigger problem is our salty air, it really makes a mess and is very hard to clean. I'm going to slowly work on them using steel wool and see if that helps.

• Laura Beaupeurt
    8 anni fa
    There are heaps of things I don't like cleaning - under the bed, grout, behind furniture, window tracks, security doors, windows, dusting the top of fans....the list goes on. They all eventually get done when I can't stand looking at them anymore or knowing how dirty they are.
  • Luke Buckle
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    I've thought of another one. The annoying fans above the stove. They are a grease trap and always have difficult latches and hooks that never seem to work properly.
  • olldroo
    8 anni fa

Which is why I don't have one.

• Vicky Small
    8 anni fa
    I find the worst thing to clean are the tracks for the aluminium Windows and sliding doors.
  • georgi02
    8 anni fa

The cheap, oh so pink fake terracotta patio tiles that trap every bit of dirt and laid on a scree bed that doesn't fall to the drain so what should be a quick job with the high pressure hose takes ages - all courtesy Dodgy and Dodgier building services - the same people that bought us tiling under cornices... - bitter enough? lol

Vicky - for the tracks (Im not a fan of that job either) - try an old pair of cotton socks on the end of the broom handle with your favourite spray product works for me.

• PRO
    Avenue B Development
    8 anni fa
    This is a photo of one of our projects - we are an Austin remodeling and construction firm www.avenuebdev.com
  • georgi02
    8 anni fa

Thanks Avenue B - but we're in Sydney and our plan is to have our builders (who we've used for previous renovations) pull up the tiles, re-scree, re-waterproof and lay tiles that aren't porous pieces of rubbish when we do our kitchen extension.

• wuff
    8 anni fa
    Hi Luke, my aluminium filter from the range hood fit in the dishwasher, I spray them with a degreaser by Bam then put through on hottest cycle on dishwasher..easy. The job I hate the most is around the bin as someone else has said previously..mostly all cleaning but I try and think of it as a ork out..it does help most of the time
  • Laura Beaupeurt
    8 anni fa
    Ok, so I decided to clean the outside of the kitchen windows. They look great. Not so great, (in fact vomit material as I have been dry retching trying to deal with the situation) is that some water got into the inside track of one of the windows (the one that doesn't open). I didn't think anything of it figuring the water will evaporate. What I hadn't taken into account was the smell. There has been a faint smell and I couldn't work out what it was - until I discovered the water in the track. OMG does it stink. I have been trying to mop it up with kitchen towelling and nearly vomiting in the process. I have tried blow drying it - just spreads smell even worse. Any ideas as I am gagging? The smell is now spreading......
  • wuff
    8 anni fa
    Hi Laura, it sounds as though there maybe a bigger problem and may need to get the professionals in, the water may have penetrated your wood or wall cavity. It shouldn't trap, has something blocked it. Also is there a possibility that their might be a dead rodent in your wall cavity, that gives out a pretty rank smell.
  • Laura Beaupeurt
    8 anni fa
    Wuff - I think it may be more the previously un noticed dead flying insects in the track. It is the water itself that is in the track that is disgustingly smelly. Thanks for the comment. :)
  • georgi02
    8 anni fa

Laura, try some bi-carb of soda or table salt or better yet any of those little packets of dessicate gel beads that come in electrical goods, shoes etc that will absorb the water then get the cordless vac to remove it once the bicard/salt is dried. What a pain for you

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".