Houzz Logo Print
maturano

what backsplash with Lennon granite??

mary
8 anni fa

So our kitchen will be white cabinets, medium tone wood floors, lennon granite counters. We chose a light colored warm grey subway tile (Pearl color from Lowes). When the granite was installed we started second guessing our decision. Our installer thinks the tile we chose is kind of bland and not enough contrast.

The paint on the walls is a warm grey and I bought a composite sink in truffle color (kind of a taupe or warm grey).

So even tho a cooler grey tile would work with the granite it doesn't work with the sink and walls.

We looked at glass tile in white or darker grey. We have a sample of a darker warm grey/brownish tile from Bedrosians.

We're now in a time crunch as any tile other than Lowes or Home Depot has to be ordered and will take 2-3 days.

Home Depot has a glass tile in a warm grey but customers who bought it posted negative FB that there were a lot of flawed pieces.

So are we needlessly second guessing ourselves? Should we not be asking our installer and just stick to our safe but not exciting first choice of pale warm grey ceramic subway tile? We want a more farmhouse/industrial look - not contemporary and I think glass can look more modern.

I'm posting pictures but the photo of the tile looks a lot cooler grey on my screen than IRL.

thanks for any advice

Commenti (42)

• pcmom1
    8 anni fa

Use this granite as the backsplash also?

• pcmom1
    8 anni fa

I think this photo of it looks great with a white subway tile. Add an insert of bling tile above the cooktop.

• pcmom1
    8 anni fa

It is fine to let it be the star of the kitchen. Here it is again with a very simple backsplash.

Traditional Kitchen · Maggiori informazioni

• beseaside
    8 anni fa
    Yes, let your beautiful granite be the star. Use a white backsplash - subway tile. If you want to add some interest, use a herringbone pattern. It will be beautiful. Trust me, we have a light neutral gray wall with white cabinets and installed a light neutral gray tile. Looked awful and ripped it Dow a week after installation. Going with white as I should have.
  • Casandra383 Dean
    8 anni fa
    Do what you want. Do you still like the combination? You will be the one looking at it every day, not the installer.
    (I don't understand contractors that try talking you out of your color/style decisions. I had that happen in my last remodel. I told him he was not the one living there, it would be done my way or he would be required to take it down and put it back my way!)
  • pcmom1
    8 anni fa

Depending on the size and style of your kitchen, using that granite as your backsplash could be awesome.

• Rawketgrl
    8 anni fa

With the truffle colored sink, pick the white subway tiles.

• mary
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

you're all giving me some food for thought. We thought white tile with the white cabinets would be kind of too much white. But I do see a lot of white cabs with white tile in pictures. Beaside, you're really making me wonder. White tile is something I can get easily enough and won't have to order if we decide to go that way.

• pcmom1
    8 anni fa

With all the things that sit on a countertop: utensil holder, coffee maker, toaster, mixer... there is usually plenty of things to look at. Simple backsplash gives a clean backdrop.

mary ha ringraziato pcmom1
  • mary
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

so do think either the grey tile with lighter colored grout or white tile with light grey grout would work?

• Rawketgrl
    8 anni fa

Matched tile and grout are usually best with granite like yours with a lot of movement.

mary ha ringraziato Rawketgrl
  • mary
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

I thought with subway tile you wanted to see the grid pattern? We were planning to go with a grout just a bit lighter if we use the grey tile. and if we used the white I was thinking a light grey grout to tie it in with the grey in the granite and on the walls. also don't want to take care of white grout

• PRO
    Sabrina Balsky Interior Design
    8 anni fa

I always recommend doing slab if your budget will allow it is the lost timeless and elegant. If not a glass tile is reflective and sleek. i would go with white you can never go wrong and make sure you do under cabinet lighting that isn't fluorescent.

mary ha ringraziato Sabrina Balsky Interior Design
  • mary
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

I saw this blue glass tile at home depot yesterday. Love the color. We have the faintest suggestion of blue in our granite. Not sure if it would be too risky to put a color like this on the backsplash.

• Rawketgrl
    8 anni fa

I think this combo will work...What color appliances?

mary ha ringraziato Rawketgrl
  • mary
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

appliances are stainless

• pcmom1
    8 anni fa

Can you bring a box of it home and lay it all out?

What color our your cabinets?

Case Design/Remodeling, Inc. · Maggiori informazioni

• pcmom1
    8 anni fa

With white cabinets:

Cabinets, Kitchens and Bathrooms · Maggiori informazioni

• pcmom1
    8 anni fa

Keep in mind that your granite has a lot of movement. If you see the grid pattern with the tile and grout, could get busy!

Williams Residence · Maggiori informazioni

• mary
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

I went to the store again today and decided maybe blue was too risky. I bought this grey glass subway tile. It's much browner than it looks in the picture - goes well with the warm grey and brown in my granite. Plan is to use a grey grout lighter than the tile but not a whole lot lighter.

Now looking at the pics of these nice blue tiles, I'm wondering again.

• beseaside
    8 anni fa

Now lay the glass tile up the wall (stand on end if you need to) so you can see it in relation to the countertop and cabinets. Be sure you L O V E it before installed. Just remember, you will always second guess yourself. With the beauty and movement of your granite, you will want your tile to be quiet - the gray will achieve that.

• Suzy
    8 anni fa

My granite is similar and I used a warm brownish/grey subway tile with slightly lighter grout. I love it. In the last pic, those are paint chips on the counter. Was considering painting my island grey.

mary ha ringraziato Suzy
  • juudean
    8 anni fa
    I like my darker grey with white cabinets...

Love your countertop!!
  • PRO
    8 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 anni fa

Mary I would recommend you go lighter with your backsplash I really think it will feel heavy with the brown. Why don't you go with white glass with white grout it will be completely timeless and sparkling. Use halogen under cabinet puck lights or led warm. One caveat I don't recommend glass tile behind the stove a piece of your slab would be perfect there.

• Beth Hanson
    8 anni fa
    Mary: where did you find the latest gray tile, the last pic you posted? Thx!
  • Rawketgrl
    8 anni fa

My vote is for white subway or the blue glass, not the gray. There is already enough gray in the counter. But you are the one who has to LOVE it. Post pics when you can of the actual kitchen and maybe that will help you decide. Regardless it will be such a pretty kitchen!

• juudean
    8 anni fa
    Sabrina- just curious about the objection to glass tile behind the stove...
  • PRO
    8 anni fa

Unless it is tempered it won't withstand heat

• mary
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

thank you all for your thoughtful advice

I'm going with the warm grey glass tile. Beth, in answer to your question, it's from home depot.

I'm not sure I LOVE it but frankly I'm tired to going in circles and the tile guys are ready to install so I decided to go with this one. The color works well with the granite and with all the white cabinets in the room and the house having good light, I don't think I'm at much risk as far as using a darker color.

Hope I'll love it when it's done.

• mary
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 anni fa

Suzy and Juudean I hope I'm going to like my grey backsplash when the kitchen is all done as you like yours. My initial reaction seeing it today was maybe it's too dark. But the tile isn't grouted yet, my granite was mostly covered in paper to protect it, the cabinets are painted but HW isn't on. The wood floors aren't in yet. The appliances aren't installed.

The tile guy offered to set up boards with two different grout colors for me to look at tomorrow morning.

So we'll really have to see the whole kitchen when it's done.

• Rawketgrl
    8 anni fa

ooooh can't wait for the unveiling. It sounds like it will be beautiful.

• mary
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

thanks rawketgrl

I have to say we weren't thrilled at first sight. DH was saying we should have gone with our initial choice - the paler grey ceramic. But hopefully when the kitchen is all done it will be beautiful.

• PRO
    Regal Construction & Remodeling Inc.
    8 anni fa

Stainless steel fixtures · Maggiori informazioni
    White!

mary ha ringraziato Regal Construction & Remodeling Inc.
  • mary
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

thanks.....too late for white

• mary
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

here are some pics of our backsplash. There are color variations that I don't think were intended to be there but we've decided we can live with them. The tile and the granite both go nicely with my blanco sink.

• pcmom1
    8 anni fa

If you don't mind, it don't matter!

• Simone Zinna
    7 anni fa

I love the Lennon backsplash over the stove!!

• Patricia Kish
    6 anni fa

We are picking the Lennon Granite as well, white cabinets with CoCo Glaze and a darker brown island base, darker brown long 7' wood planks on the floor. I appreciate this thread. After reading everything and looking at pictures listed here I am thinking for me I am leaning toward the recommended white subway tile and something that sticks out over the stove. For me the grey glass is much too dark. But I am glad you love it! Thanks for posting.

• mary
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Here is our kitchen more updated pics. Sorry pictures aren't that great but you can see the elements including the wood floor. We're pretty happy with the granite and backsplash but recently saw a kitchen with grey granite and the jadite colored green subway tile and thought if we had it to do over we might use that.

OT but probably my biggest regret in the kitchen is the stainless refrigerator. Fingerprints get on it very easily and when you go to clean them you end up doing the whole door.

• Lynne Naber
    6 anni fa

In the fall, I'm planning to update my kitchen with Lennon granite countertops, a new backsplash and stainless steel appliances. We're keeping the cherry cabinets and maple floors as they are in great shape. I'm second guessing the granite but, without sealant, it passed the stain tests with flying colors and it's the stone that my DH and I kept coming back to. Since the granite is busy, I thought I would keep it simple with subway tile. Initially, I thought a light gray would work but it seemed to make the kitchen somewhat dingy and the white tile seems to brighten up the space and will give me more options for wall paint colors. Any comments/ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• mary
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

we like our taupe/grey subway tile but if we had it to do over we might consider jadeite green

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".