Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline_lee1935322

Backsplash Help!

Jacqueline Lee
9 anni fa
Ultima modifica:9 anni fa
Hello there,

Our kitchen remodeling has finally come to the backsplash phase. I need suggestions on what type of backsplash to use. The appliance are all stainless steel. I have included pictures of my kitchen, and also a picture of the floor tiles with the granite countertop piece.

Please provide links where I can view samples or purchase.

Thanks

Commenti (133)

• Jacqueline Lee
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    The light is sitting at 64 inches from ground up. Should I lower it to 65 or 66?
  • PRO
    Ward Designs
    9 anni fa
    I like the pendant - could be wider - like 7 to 8" in diameter. But it works - good call. Does it provide enough light? That's really what's important. I never noticed your pumpkin colored trey ceiling or wall - very very nice. Can you find a white glass shade with orange in it - THAT would look awesome!
    Jacqueline Lee ha ringraziato Ward Designs
  • Jacqueline Lee
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 9 anni fa
    Yes the light is mighty enough. I use LED E27 50watts output but consumes 5watts. It's gonna take time Ward Designs to keep searching for pendant lights. haha. I am getting weary with this remodeling already. It's taken us 2 months.. lol. I will probably look for another set later with that color scheme. I decided to stay clean with the pendant lights since I am going with the Caramel backsplash. Just too much color is a tad gordy.
  • Jacqueline Lee
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    What do you think of the pendant length? It's currently sitting at 64 inches Ward Designs.
  • PRO
    Ward Designs
    9 anni fa
    If that's the length that works best for you, visually and functionally, then it's the perfect height. Simple as that. You are getting so close to "wrapping it all up" that I can't wait to see it all done. (You'd almost think it was my kitchen with all the anticipation I'm feeling). LOL!
    Can't wait. - Denise Ward.
  • Jacqueline Lee
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Hey Denise... What do you think of the 2 lights below? Should I go for 3? I think they are too close. I just found out (by measuring) the fabricator mysteriously extended the length of the island from 60 inches to 64 inches. that made a difference to lamp position? What should I do? Have the electrician do a 3rd lighting or spaced out the 2 lighting? IF 3 lamps, what should the distance of the 3 be? Please help.. Urgent!
  • Jacqueline Lee
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    oh currently the spacing is 17 inches between both lamps and about 18 inches from the wall. The length of the island is 64 inches. Please help!!
  • Ann
    9 anni fa
    I think three will look too crowded but the one away from the wall needs to move further over. Can that be done or does it result in too many repairs?
    Jacqueline Lee ha ringraziato Ann
  • Carol Johnson
    9 anni fa
    I think three is better, hopefully the third will be within the 64" countertop?!
    Jacqueline Lee ha ringraziato Carol Johnson
  • Jacqueline Lee
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Well either by moving it farther out to the left or creating another outlet, it's still a chore according to the electrician. So I am trying to find the ideal image, regardless. I think if I spaced the other lamp out, the separation between both lamps are 30 inches between them. sigh.. I don't know what to do.. The electrician is coming tomorrow to finish up the cove lights and the contractor is coming to lay the backsplash. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.
  • PRO
    Ward Designs
    9 anni fa
    I agree with Ann above. They will be too crowded. But now you need to center them over the counter. Find center of counter (32") then divide by two to find the center of each 32' lengths (16") and that's where the pendants should be placed to be centered over the counter. You'll have to move the fixtures and repair the ceiling! (Perhaps the fabricator will pay for it since he/she made an error in the length!?)
  • Jacqueline Lee
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    I contacted him and emailed him the contract specifying the length of the island fabrication is 60 inches. His counter" I didn't charge you for the 4 inches." I said it does not matter you charged or not, that is not in the premise of the contract, the contract said 60 inches to be fabricated. He offered 500 bux for the blunder.
  • Jacqueline Lee
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    So the remedy should be moving the lamps? Since it's 64 inches, yes the center is 32inches. Now I should hang my lamps 16 inches from the edge (both sides) and spaced them 32 inches apart? Is that the correct placement?
  • sandradclark
    9 anni fa
    If not already resolved, I think you should hang three pendants. Odd numbers, better design. So glad you picked the lighter tile. Also wonderful advice all along from Ward Designs.

You are a lucky person to get a credit from a contractor on his mistake on length of counter. That one mistake he made could've been disastrous. Beautiful kitchen when it's done, however I know how distressing it is to make all the decisions. Perfect design is in the details.
    Jacqueline Lee ha ringraziato sandradclark
  • Jacqueline Lee
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Hey Sandra, thanks for your input. The Pendant lamp by the way is 7.5 X5.5. The island is 64X36 inches. So assuming we hang 3 pendants, so what is the spacing measurement? This is pretty distressing indeed. The whole project has taken us 2 months went over budget by almost(1K - lighting fixures) and it's finally come down to the finishing phase. lol
  • Jacqueline Lee
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    and yes are we all in agreement the backsplash layout is stacked and not staggered? lol We still have time to discuss. haha ;)
  • PRO
    Ward Designs
    9 anni fa
    Ahhh the rule of three!!! Yes, three is a more "balanced" look to the eye. However, you can end up with bright light overload not to mention it will look crowded.
    If you were to hang three you would measure 10-2/3" from the wall to center of first light, 21-1/3" to the center of the second light, then another 21-1/3" to the center of the third light. The standard rule of thumb is to hang pendants 30" apart.

I still think two pendants would work best in your situation - a 9 inch difference from the standard 30" is quite a lot.

Stacked. (lol)
  • Jacqueline Lee
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Hey Denise, check this out.. :) Stacked. lol Will move the the left pendant light 4 inches out. Fingers crossed.
  • PRO
    Ward Designs
    9 anni fa
    Ahhh - perfection!
  • Jacqueline Lee
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    no spacers too. But i gotta say this, it's not an easy tile to lay cuz of the tile's uneven texture and that the tiles don't come uniform. I am watching the contractor assisting his guy with laying, and he was telling me you picked a difficult tile to lay. :)
  • PRO
    DL Cabinetry Inc.
    9 anni fa
    Good cabinet looking!
    Jacqueline Lee ha ringraziato DL Cabinetry Inc.
  • Jacqueline Lee
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Cove Lighting up, progress on the backsplash. Slow and steady wins the race. lol I am sooooo glad I decided on the Caramel colored tile Denise!! lol
  • PRO
    Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
    9 anni fa
    I would keep it light in travertine.
  • sandradclark
    9 anni fa
    It is gorgeous. Right decision.
  • PRO
    Ward Designs
    9 anni fa
    I'm glad you picked it too! lmao It's coming along nicely.
  • Jacqueline Lee
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Day 1 Backsplash completion.
  • PRO
    Ward Designs
    9 anni fa
    Very nice -- love it!
  • Natalie
    9 anni fa
    Hi---looks super with the drop cloth! Hard to tell in the pic with the granite? Looking forward to seeing the reveal. Tile is a Beauty! :)
    Jacqueline Lee ha ringraziato Natalie
  • ayeymg
    9 anni fa
    what is the name of the backsplash tile you went with? also, what paint color do you plan on using? my cabinets are the same color and i'm need to pick a color!
    Jacqueline Lee ha ringraziato ayeymg
  • Jacqueline Lee
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Thank you Natalie, I will take more pictures uncovered when it is done.

Ayeymg, the name of the tile is New Yorker Caramel. I uploaded the color scheme for the room, you can scroll up. There is not much paint area shown, but my paint color is Silver Green Vine. The walls were painted before cabinet installation.

Here are the pictures of 95% backsplash completion. The bottom half should be done in the morning. The grouting and Hood installation is scheduled for tomorrow. Fingers crossed. I am really liking the backsplash color, I have to admit, it is growing on me every time i see it. haha Will post the final look later.
  • PRO
    Ward Designs
    9 anni fa
    Is this where your exhaust fan and stove go? I just love the tile Jacqueline - I hope you like it as much.
  • Jacqueline Lee
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Hi Denise, yes that's where the Exhaust fan and stove goes. Me too, I can safely say I am going to love entering the kitchen for the next 10-20 years. lol
  • sandradclark
    9 anni fa
    So shiny and easy to keep clean. Smart choice. send photo when all done. want to see it all.
    Jacqueline Lee ha ringraziato sandradclark
  • Jacqueline Lee
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    OK the grout is in. Denise, this is the matching Grout color. Blends really well.
  • Jacqueline Lee
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    This is the Hood for my stove. I got a 42 X 27.5 size for my 36 X 30(Depth)inches stove. The Chimney is going to get cut 4 inches to 1 feet(16 inches) unless I hang the hood down to 24 inches above the stove. That's very low. Does it look weird? Right now it's sitting at 30 inches above the stove.
  • Jacqueline Lee
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Hey Sandra, Thanks for the compliment. Will do.
  • PRO
    Ward Designs
    9 anni fa
    There are several factors that affect the height an exhaust hood should be installed over a cooking surface. Most important is the manufacturer's recommendation. The height of a typical range hood is between 26" and 30" above the cook top. It is also important to place the range hood low enough to capture all the smoke and steam and at a height where the
    lights are below eye level. This also keeps the control panel within easy reach and makes cleaning easier. If you have a gas stove, the height should not be less than 30".
    What does manufacturer recommend for your range hood?
  • Jacqueline Lee
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    24-30 inches, my concern is the chimney, they will have to shave off 4 inches to sustain 30 inches above the stove. Does it look weird to have a short chimney would be my concern, Denise.
  • Jacqueline Lee
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    I am 64 inches tall, my DH is 73 inches tall. lol right now from ground up, the base of the hood is 66 inches tall and the chimney is 12 inches tall as opposed to 16inches. The ceiling height is 95 inches tall.
  • PRO
    Ward Designs
    9 anni fa
    If you don't have a gas stove, then by all means lower it to 26" above the cooktop. The height would be better for you (at eye level) and a 16" chimney would look better than 12".
  • Jacqueline Lee
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Unfortunately I have a powerful gas stove, 3 burners at 25K btu. Do I lower it to 28 inches? and the chinmey will still need to be shaved off 2 inches.. 14 inches.
  • PRO
    Ward Designs
    9 anni fa
    To be on the safe side, I'd leave it at 30". No one will notice, trust me.
  • Jacqueline Lee
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Hi Everyone, the kitchen is 98% completed. We are just missing some final details. I love the backsplash I picked. The mini pendants distance have been moved too. The only thing I might be grumbling for the next 10 years would probably be the hood's chinmey.. lol It is a tad short, but it is what it is cuz the hood is sitting at 29 inches above the range, the lowest it can go down is 28. Hope you enjoy the ride like I did, less the stress. Thank you every one for your kind input and suggestions, especially Denise Ward. I would invite you over for a glass of wine or espresso if there is a chance. lol Thanks!!
  • Jacqueline Lee
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    More pictures
  • Jacqueline Lee
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Ohhh.. one question..? Should I paint the wall around the window orange? I think this will even bring out the cabinets more. Thoughts?
  • PRO
    Ward Designs
    9 anni fa
    Hi Jacqueline - thank you so much for your compliments. Your kitchen looks fabulous!! Should be put in a kitchen magazine! You did a great job,
    About the window wall - is this the only area that is painted green? If so, then for sure go with the orange (might be biased -orange is my favorite color). The orange would make the the cabinets look richer......
    (I'd love to come over for a glass of wine or an espresso, but I live in Canada - Far North of Montana). Thanks for the invite tho.
  • Natalie
    9 anni fa
    BEAUTIFUL!!! I can't decide what I like most, the cabs, the backsplash, or that Gorgeous granite. Well done Jacqueline! Have fun in your new space. CheerS!
  • Ann
    9 anni fa
    I agree. It's fantastic. I love the backsplash!
  • sandradclark
    9 anni fa
    it was nice to watch the progression. it is beautiful
  • sandradclark
    9 anni fa
    And the stove hood is supposed to be wider than the range. You did it right.
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".